This program, as a result of an Agreement of joint effort between John von Neumann Institute - Vietnam National University-HCM and USTH at offering graduate students, local and international the possibility to acquire professional competency in the finance sector with quantitative and computational tools. The purpose of the present Agreement is to transfer the JVN’s Master Program in Quantitative and Computational Finance (QCF) as a part of USTH’s education programs, starting from the academic year 2016-2017.
Designed for students with background in Finance as well as in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, the entire Master of Science in Quantitative and Computational Finance (MS QCF) will be delivered in English by highly qualified professionals and academia from the most prestigious institutions in the world such as City Group, Goldman Sachs, Société Générale, BNP-Parisbas, Morgan Stanley, Princeton University, Stanford University, University of California at Berkeley, Ecole Polytechnique, University of Paris, Vietnam National University-HCM, etc.
The curriculum of Master QCF is designed to equip the attendees with knowledge and experiences to become professionals skilled in quantitative techniques for the banking and insurance sectors. These sectors have recently seen strong growth both in demands from the Capital Markets area (Front Offices in Trading rooms) as well as from the Risk Management side. Traditionally, competency in QCF is particular important to become traders.
For the purpose of the present Agreement, cooperation between USTH and JVN may include the exchange of students, researchers and faculty members; the transfer of the curriculums; the exchange of scientific and scholarly publications; the joint organisation of symposia, seminars and conferences as well as the development of taught programs, joint research programmes and projects.updating...
Applicants must obtained an undergrad degree in applied mathematics, computing science, finance, banking and actuarial studies and having passed the pre-Master courses
- English requirements:
- English Program Diploma (International and/or National)
- Final Decision through the Interview
- Personal Statement of Purpose
- Recommendation Letters
- Interview with the Admission Board
- The main curriculum begins after a one-month refresher course on mathematics and programming
- Skill Acquired
- Solid knowledge in probability, statistics, computational methods
- Thorough understanding of quantitative models in finance and insurance (derivatives, statistical arbitrage, portfolio selection…)
- Individual or group working
- The program includes two years course over 3 semesters and a one-semester internship in an industrial environment or a research laboratory (90 credits ECTS).
- The first year is composed of two coursework semesters with at least 30 credits (Philosophy excluded), including 7 mandatory courses and 3 elective courses.
- Semester 4 is for thesis (30 credits ECTS)
- Total program: 08 required, at least 4 electives, and one capstone/project.
- Possibility to fulfil the program in 3-4 years for part-time students with cumulated credit/certificates (18 certificates)LEARNING
- Program of Master on QCF aims to train students who plan to apply mathematics and informatics to solve quantitative problems in finance:
- Ease to identify risk and how to manage (risk measure, stress test…)
- Ability to price and hedge vanilla derivatives on equity, commodity and interest rate
- Portfolio selection based on various methods (cf. using tools from artificial intelligence)
- Best-practices brought by practitioners through QCF Seminar.
ASSESSMENT OF LEARNING
- In order to meet graduation requirements, students must earn a minimum of 120 credits ECTS. These must include:
- 56 credits ECTS for required courses,
- a minimum of 24 elective (optional) credits ECTS (equivalent to at least 04 elective courses),
- 06 credits ECTS for capstone project
- 04 credits ECTS for Philosophy course,
- 30 credits ECTS for Thesis
POPULAR CAREER OPTIONS
The main objective of the Master of Science degree program in Quantitative and Computational Finance USTH is to provide students with the practical skills and theoretical understanding they need to be leaders in the formulation, implementation and evaluation of the models used by the financial sector to structure transactions, manage risk and construct investment strategies. This programme will be the second QCF master in Vietnam after JVN, and the first in Hanoi.